Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Sermon On The Mount: Update 9/4

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed arethe meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed arethe merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Matt 5:3-12 (KJV)

I have been praying this prayer: "... Please show me how you see my sin to the point that I can stand..." It didn't become clear to me all at once, but as I repeat this prayer, I start to see small things that I do that God disapproves of. For example, small white lies that I say without thinking or bad things that flash through my mind for just a second. Thoughts are dangerous because they are hard to control. I am slowly starting to notice these sins, as well as others, that I am guilty of. I am starting to see what they are really like, but I don't think God is done with me yet.

I don't want anyone to think I am some super spiritual person. My walk with God has been very dead recently. I would pray, but it would be empty. At chapel, I felt convicted about what Dr. Patrick was talking about. This is my way of trying to get back to God, and I only make this public to encourage others to follow my lead. It is a huge commitment, but if you want to get serious in your love life with God, you have to let God get rid of the things that lie in between you and Him. This may not be the right path for every wayward Christian, but the important thing to remember is this:

5 Trust in Jehovah with all thy heart, And lean not upon thine own understanding: 6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, And he will direct thy paths.

Prov 3:5-6 (ASV)

"The greater perfection a soul aspires after, the more dependent it is upon divine grace."
~Brother Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment