Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Sermon On The Mount

I want to use my blog for now to keep my notes on what God is doing in my life. I don't know if it will become a regular thing, but since this is a brand new blog, I think I can have some leeway on how I do it.

In chapel today, a man named Dr. John Patrick spoke to us about the Sermon On The Mount. His site is here if you want to check it out:

http://www.johnpatrick.ca/papers.htm

He read the Beatitudes:

3 Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 4 Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. 5 Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. 6 Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. 7 Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. 8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. 9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. 12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.
Matt 5:3-12 (KJV)

Dr. Patrick explained that this is not the SotM, but the notes that Matthew took about it. Tonight I decided to try what he suggested. I am going to make this my prayer for a while. As a start I am praying that God would make me poor in spirit. What that means, is that He would show me what my sin looks like to Him (as much as I am able to stand).

There hasn't been any revelation so far, but I didn't expect for it to be an instant thing. I will keep meditating on verse three and in time, if God is willing, I will understand how that applies specifically to me. If it takes longer than a few days, I will update my progress anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment